Please refer to the Online Application FAQs for more information about registering your project online.
Breakdown of all forms
REQUIRED FORMS FOR ALL PROJECTS:
NYCSEF Signature Page | Acknowledgment of Participation from student, parent/guardian, teacher, and principal.
Student & Project Information| Template for basic student information and project outline/information
Team Information| Template for team member information FOR TEAM PROJECTS
Checklist for Adult Sponsor(1) | To be completed by the Adult Sponsor in collaboration with the student researcher.
Student checklist 1A | Basic student checklist
NYCSEF Project Summary | Required before you begin your experimentation
Abstract | To be completed after your experimentation
Approval Form (1B) | Basic approval required for each student, including team members
Remember you must also write a Research Paper for submission with your application. Refer to pg. 4 in the NYCSEF Rules and Guidelines for more information.
SUPPLEMENTAL FORMS THAT MAY BE REQUIRED FOR YOUR PROJECT:
Regulated Research Institutional Form (1C) | Required for any research conducted at a regulated research institution or work site other than home, school or field. To be completed after experimentation.
Qualified Scientist (2) | May be required for research involving human subjects, vertebrate animals, potentially hazardous biological agents, and DEA-controlled substances. To be completed before experimentation.
Risk Assessment Form (3) | Required for projects using hazardous chemicals, activities or devices and microorganisms exempt from pre-approval. To be completed before experimentation.
Human Participants (4) | Required for research involving human participants. IRB approval required before experimentation.
Vertebrate Animal (5A) | Required for research involving vertebrate animals that is conducted in a school/home/field. SRC approval required before experimentation.
Vertebrate Animal (5B) | Required for research involving vertebrate animals that is conducted at a Regulated Research Institution. IACUC approval from the research institution required before experimentation.
Potentially Hazardous Biological Agents Form (6A) | Required for research involving microorganisms, rDNA, fresh/frozen tissue (including primary cell lines, human and other primate established cell lines and tissue cultures), blood, blood products and body fluids. SRC/IACUC/IBC approval required before experimentation.
Human and Vertebrate Animal Tissue Form (6B) | For research involving fresh/frozen tissue, blood, blood products and body fluids. Must also complete PHBA Form (6A).
Continuation/Research Progression Form (7) | Required for projects that are a continuation in the same field of study as a previous project.
IMPORTANT – Application Changes for 2015-2016
- Students may only participate in one ISEF-affiliated fair. NYCSEF is the ISEF affiliated fair for the NYC region, participants do not advance to state and national fairs from NYCSEF but rather advance directly to ISEF if they qualify. Enrollment and participation in other ISEF-affiliated fairs may lead to disqualification from NYCSEF and ineligibility to compete at ISEF. If a student from the NYC region prefers to participate in an ISEF-affiliated fair other than NYCSEF, students may request an exemption by contacting the NYCSEF fair director at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Human Participants Form (4): Format Revisions have been made in an effort to help students and IRB members properly complete the form.
- NYCSEF has a growing issue of space availability at our fair locations. Historically, we have charged our SRC (Scientific Review Committee) to determine only if projects qualify and asked our judges to assess quality at the fair. This year, the NYCSEF SRC will be asked to make an initial assessment for competition readiness and therefore will decide if a project may compete in the preliminary round of NYCSEF.
Upcoming Dates & Deadlines
- 14Dec2016 NYCSEF Project Application Due Date
- 05Mar2017 NYCSEF Preliminary Round @ The City College of New York
- 28Mar2017 NYCSEF Finals Round @ The American Museum of Natural History (Tent.)
- 31Mar2017 NYCSEF Awards Ceremony @ The Tribeca Performing Arts Center, Borough of Manhattan Community College
- 07May2017 International Science & Engineering Fair Week in Los Angeles, CA